Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pillow Mat Project


So I got my sewing machine a little over a month ago. Before I bought it, I had never used one before. I have pretty much just thrown myself into it. So far I have managed to make things that look like they're supposed to. I made Halloween costumes for our family and people were able to tell what they were so I will consider that a success. I have encountered A LOT of trial and error, sewing is a lot harder than I expected. But I'm getting the hand of it slowly. (At least I think so.)

So lately I've been finding all these really neat ideas for Christmas gifts on Pinterest. I found a pillow mat and thought I could make one for my niece out of the fabric I had from a chair re-upholstery. (The company sent the wrong fabric three times!! Finally I decided to just keep it since they wanted me to have it so badly.) So I found the tutorial here....http://southerndisposition.blogspot.com/2011/06/pillow-bed-tutorial.html Instead of a duvet cover, I used 3 yards of material but ended up cutting about a foot off the bottom. The instructions were easy to follow, however, I had a hard time working with hemming fabric that was 9 feet long. I got it to work with a few extra hands from Jimmy though. Overall, it took me about an hour and a half to complete, which is longer than most that I saw, but hey I'm learning. Overall, it turned out really cute. I don't have the four pillows for it yet so I just stuffed random ones in it to see how it'll look. Yes, there are actually four pillows in it. I folded one under to prop the head spot up. The different size pillows made it look crooked in the picture but it's really not. I'm pretty proud of it! I think the best part is the pillows can be taken out so you can wash the fabric.

I plan on making two more of these (one for my son and his friend) but I think I'll do it a little differently. I will definitely cut the fabric down into smaller pieces and then sew those together. Working with 9 feet of fabric was a major pain in the butt for me. I think this will make it much easier and faster next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment